Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Feb 2 13 12:34 PM

Re: Website offline

I don't see the reason why. If we have a central site, it doesn't matter at all, where each part of the site is hosted.

concordia cum veritate

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Feb 2 13 12:40 PM

and, as already pointed out before, it hugely reduce the SPOF we're having with the maintenance of the granular websites organization we had/have right now.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Feb 2 13 12:42 PM

morph wrote:
mainly, because Mantis is a PITA, and if you don't have an account you can see issues.

That's just a setting.

concordia cum veritate

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 20 13 9:23 PM

Hello,
it's me once again; can I please ask to reconsider not moving to Google Code also for the "user part" so wiki and bug reporting? I don't want to blame anyone, but it's been 2.5 months from the last "the website will be ready very soon" msg but we're still left with a temporary page. I volunteer to help in the migration of the old data to google code.

Thanks for considering

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 29 13 8:43 PM

The beauty of this statement is, when you read it again in half a year it will still be true probably. It's our version of manana...

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jul 5 13 6:25 PM

If one is running aMule and one clicks to get to the site from the help screen, one gets a notice that the site is down and to go to this temporary forum.

So the site was taken down in mid 2012. It's now early July of 2013.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

Aug 13 13 9:38 AM

You have to wonder if the Amule project is now dead, with the only thing left to do is make the fact official.

No new Amule release since 2011, no word from the devs, and a website migration that has been going on for almost a year. What poor fool takes a year to migrate a website? If there was still love for this project the website would have found new hosting long ago.

What are we left with? A sourceforge page and this horribly cheap and nasty 800x600 forumer site. Obviously the love, and with it the devolpers, have gone.

Amule 2.3.1 was a great release, but without further releases and some "chatter" around the project then software tends to fall slowly out of use.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Aug 13 13 8:46 PM

I'm finding "no word from the devs" insulting. Yeah, devs are down to GonoszTopi and me, but we are still around as you could see if you bothered to look.

The project was drying up in the old space already. What little activity there was can easily be handled here as well. Without the cost of a server, and without the need of a competent server admin who is not available anymore.

aMule is doing what it is supposed to be doing pretty well. Support is available here. And P2P sharing isn't going anywhere if you haven't noticed. Look at eMule, it's drying up too.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Aug 13 13 10:57 PM

Yes, I take your point re emule. They haven't managed a new release in a few years and up until very recently the new release thread was just bickering over the direction of emule. It looks like they are gearing up for something in the months to come though.

Yeah, initial post came over as harsh, sorry about that. I do feel rather negative about the fate of Amule. It has always been my favourite P2P client and it's sad to see things slow down so much with the rise of Bittorrent.

It would be nice to see development of Kad speed up again with some new features to increase speed and encryption, I think it would bring back a lot of users, but I guess that's not really in Amules scope.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Aug 14 13 8:57 PM

You guess right - regarding the network we have always only backported the features of eMule obviously. But I very much doubt that anything could bring back a lot of users.
We have to face it - P2P is dying from uploader persecution and direct download sites.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Aug 18 13 5:21 PM

For some users, P2P is dead. But not for everyone.
Direct discharges some users may come to them well. But not for everyone. I find that to download files, would have to be paid at 6-8 accounts direct downloads. Almost $ 100 monthly. It is not reasonable.
Download directly for free only works with MEGA.
Instead, communities Comics Series or because they are still using P2P teras and dangerous information that depend on a user account, if closed, would result in a huge loss to the community.
Sorry for my english but it is a language I do not speak just.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Aug 19 13 8:26 PM

Our project is not going to disappear anytime soon. Just don't expect any great evolution. (Not that I'm ruling out anything though.)
As long as a certain critical mass of people keeps running mule clients they will keep working.
(And your English is fine. )

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 20 13 8:14 PM

The first think to do to increase community activity would be to bring back the old forum posts.
A lot of insightful things were posted there, people took time to write and collaborate and there posts disappeared without notices. This was a bad thing.
(not even talking about the wiki)

The second thing would be to make aMule "really" open-source, what means : not using a proprietary tool to generate the UI.

Lastly using the SF.net code repository what should be almost as simple as git remote add && git push.

best regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help